LEGISLATE VIRTUAL CONGRESS
IN GENERAL ASSEMBLY
July 2, 2021
Data Protection Act
A bill to help ensure the protection and the safety of individuals on the internet.
Brian Zhu, Jackson Radomski, Connor Manka
July 2, 2021, 12:39:00 AM
Science and Technology, Rules and Regulations
(1) whereas corporations collect data on individuals, therefore individuals should be able to opt out on data collection.
(2) whereas corporations can sell this information to third-party individuals, and these individuals could have possible intentions with negative ramifications for the customer.
BE IT ENACTED BY LEGISLATE SENATORS VIRTUALLY ASSEMBLED THAT
Glossary of Terms:
"Corporation" means a company or online service that requires cookies or storage of online information.
"Data"means online information that is stored.
"Third party" means any individual, organization, or entity that is receiving the collected data.
"Data collection" means the action of storing data.
[New York][Corporations] must inquire the user on whether an individual would like data collected on them.
[New York][Corporations] must let the user know what data is being collected, who the data is given to and for what use.
(a) When a corporation is found to violate the parameters, they will be given a warning and/or a fine determined by the agency.
(b) If a corporation repeatedly offends these rules, they shall be liable to larger fines, monitored closely by the agency, and possibly be shut down. Depending on each case, the violators may be subject to incarceration.
A state agency is set up for suspicious parties and the agency examines these issues.
Online parties must follow a set of parameters, and these parameter are not limited to:
(1) A clear message on what data is being collected. They must be outisde terms of services.
(2) When an issue is determined, the parties must resolve their issue in a timely manner, which will be determined on a degree basis.
(3) Any person should have the option to delete data collected on them previously, and the option to opt out after previously including themselves in data collection.
(4) Corporations must still provide their service equally between users that opt in and opt out of data collection.
Data Protection Act
will go into effect on
January 1, 2022, 5:00:00 AM
After the bill is passed, the bill shall go into effect on January 1 of the next calendar year.
Online services must fit the parameter by the set date, and they shall begin the process for the previous rules mentioned in the bill.
All internet services will be notified.